Can your friend smash a stick of wood with a karate punch and you can not? Have you ever imagined breaking a brick in half? If you follow this guide, you can learn the famous karate stroke.
Place the wood (or stone) on two blocks with the wood grain in the same direction as your hand should smash it. If you smash the wood with the grain, it will break more easily.
Take a thin, smooth board, such as a thin pine board.
Do not try to smash thick or solid wood.
Get in position. For that, you should stand or shoulder your knees 60 cm in front of the board.
Prepare for the blow by calming down. Since the key to successful punching is the mind, you have to be as calm as possible before slamming.
Imagine how your hand goes through the wood. If you can not imagine it, it probably will not work.
Put your thumb on your index finger.
Bend your fingers slightly to the left if you are right-handed or to the right if you are left-handed.
Raise your arm far up and hold yourself ready to strike down.
Strike down energetically with your arm until the board breaks. Do not raise your hand immediately, it must go all the way down to break the wood.
If it does not break, check how you are. If you feel very little pain, try to work on your speed. A bit more intensity could also make a successful hand edge hit.
The hand edge can withstand a lot, even if it is the part that comes into contact with the wood. But if you’re still a beginner, it’s best to have someone to teach you or, if that’s not possible, to be careful with your hand, and after a lot of practice, beat it more and more.
If you have more pain, you should not do anything that day. If you are seriously injured, go to the doctor immediately.
Practice, practice, practice. The more you practice, the more accurate and better your stroke will be.
- You should not try to break up thick wooden boards or other hard things without professional training.
- Do not break anything that’s obviously too difficult for you. If you are not really strong, do not use boards that are thicker than 7.5 cm and thinner than 2.5 cm.
- Do not beat people. Although it sounds stupid to address that, it could seriously hurt someone or cause you trouble. Karate is self-defense and should not be used as an attack on innocents.
- Go to the doctor if you think you have hurt yourself.
- If you’re just starting martial arts, never try to smash something without supervision. In general, martial arts is nothing that you can teach yourself and learn by trying.
What you need
- Chopping blocks (cement)
- A wooden board to smash (usually pine, take thin boards)
- Training (if possible join a martial arts school)